Skip to main content

California Week Overview

The family spent a week in California from January 14th to the 21st.  Our flight from Boise to LA wasn't till 8pm so we got into LA around 9:30pm local time, grabbed our luggage (two suitcases and three carseat boxes), took a shuttle to enterprise car rental, set up the carseats in our rental car, and then drove an hour to Malibu.  We all got to bed around 12:30 that night.  Being able to stay at Deedee and Papa's Malibu condo makes the trip amazing.  Mckenzie and Channing shared a room where Mckenzie tried out a "real" bed for the first time.  Although she still referred to it as her crib.  Then Isaac was in a pack n play in another room.  Justin and I had the master bedroom.  You can see the ocean and hear the waves from this room.  I love the sound of waves crashing.

Day 1 in Malibu we took it easy in the morning.  The kids were so excited to be at the beach house.  Justin took Channing out exploring and ended up at the beach.  Mom, Deedee, and Papa came down for the day.  In the afternoon we went swimming at the pool.  Then the Kenney's and Ostler's came to swim, visit, and eat a salmon dinner.

Day 2 we took the kids to the beach to play in the sand.  Isaac stayed back at the beach house with my mom while he took a nap.  Which was probably wise since I'm sure I would've been scraping sand out of his mouth the whole time.  After the beach we went to the pool and Isaac experienced swimming for the first time.

Day 3 was a hike at Solstice Canyon in Malibu.  It was fun to get some exercise and explore.  We saw lots of pretty birds, some burned down old trees, and an old brick hunting home.  The double stroller was not equipped to handle the slightly rough terrain and Isaac was starting to get grumpy and Channing was starting to complain that his legs weren't working.  So we headed back for lunch.  After lunch we drove to the Santa Monica Pier.  That place is crazy!  There was a new performer every 25 feet on the pier either playing drums, singing, playing the ukulele, etc (there was some weird singer/dancer guy in a skirt when we left).  Justin and Channing had a blast going on lots of fun rides like the ferris wheel, roller coaster, and pirate ship swinging thing.  Mckenzie enjoyed going on a few arcade rides where you put in a few quarters and the car moves back and forth for a minute.  Then we got her a churro.  After Justin and Channing had their fill of rides we drove out to Calabasas to meet my mom and dad at The Habit for some yummy burgers.  Mckenzie was beyond tired by that point.  We got her some frozen yogurt afterwards which she was super excited about but then wouldn't take a bite....  2 year olds are so finicky, especially when they're tired.

Day 4 was more of a relaxing day.  Mom, Deedee, and Papa came out for the day.  I love that my kids got to spend time with their great-grandparents.  We took Butter on a walk, played games, Channing helped make lemonade, watched the sunset, and Justin took the kids and my mom to explore some tide pools.

Day 5 was Friday.  The week goes by way too fast on vacation!  My mom and dad came down to Malibu for the day and also spent the night.  My dad, Channing, my mom, and I all worked on a cardboard puzzle of a rocket which turned out to take hilariously long for so many adults to finish.  And everyone but me and Isaac explored the tide pools again at Leo Carrillo State Park.

Day 6 was Saturday which was our last full day in Malibu.  Some highlights from the day was seeing a humpback whale from the look out point by the condo.  We went swimming at the pool.  And the Kenney's and Ostler's came over for dinner.  We ate yummy Peruvian food.  It was so great to spend time with family and play games like Blokus and Rummy Tile. 

Day 7 we left our beloved Malibu.  There were many tears....  Channing cried, "I still have so much I want to do here!"  And when we pulled up to our house in Meridian Mckenzie cried out, "oh no! not this house!"  Our kids are so spoiled to spend a whole week doing nothing but playing in the sand and pool!  We are super blessed to have that time together.  Can't wait for more trips to the beach house.

Here are just a few pictures from the highlights.



















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fartlek

    Have you ever tried running (more like slow jogging) with a double stroller?  My suggestion is to avoid it...unless you're into pain and frustration. I'm a morning workout person.  And I'm not talking about waking up before my kids at 6am and getting in a workout--I'm not crazy.  I'm into doing my workout when it's convenient and I don't have to sacrifice too much.  For example I don't like to exercise when I:  Have to wake up earlier than normal.  Stay up later than normal. Be too cold/hot for a long period of time. Or listen to a kid cry/whine the whole time.     Right now I've chosen to walk/jog in the morning after breakfast and before Mckenzie's nap.  That way the morning goes by quickly and I get a workout in.  Justin and I signed up for a race here in Meridian and that's my workout motivation...hence the jogging with a stroller.  I'm pretty sure the double stroller ways at least 75lbs with the kids in it.  20lbs for Kenz

Pain in the Neck Child

I have one child that's a pain in the neck because she has a pain in her neck!  Did you follow that?  Actually Mckenzie is adorable and an excellent baby, but the poor kid has torticollis.  Here's what google says about torticollis,  a condition in which the head becomes persistently turned to one side, often associated with painful muscle spasms.   Mckenzie only wants to look forward and to the right.  This has caused the right side of her head to become flat. Last Thursday I took her to the physical therapist that specializes in this problem and received lots of good stretches that I need to do with Mckenzie 2-3 times a day.  She also wants Mckenzie to have tummy time about 5 times a day for 5 minutes each time.  The only time I can do these stretches successfully with Mckenzie is when she is falling asleep for a nap.  And it takes about 10-15 minutes to complete the stretches each time.  We're hopeful that within the next 6 weeks we'll see some improvement.  The PT

A blessing, 4th of July, and a 2nd birthday!

I'm not good at posting on our blog frequently, so when I do post something it usually consists of many events crammed into one post.  And this entry will be no exception! Ya'll ready for this? Cue Space Jam Theme song. I love Summer time.  You can go outside without bundling up and we spend a lot more time outside when it's warm.  Walks, fishing, picnics! Love it all! Fishing at the pond with daddy.  One of Mckenzie's and Channing's favorite things to do.  One day maybe they'll actually catch something! ;) On July 2nd we had Isaac's baby blessing.  Then afterwards the Hamilton's and the Crawford's came over for a taco dinner.  We love having family close by.  Makes these kind of events great. On July 4th we headed out to Lucky Peak with the Crawford's for some boat time!  Mckenzie was actually super comfortable going on the tube and even sitting on the easy wake trainer.  Channing wasn't too impressed with either.